Thursday, August 20, 2009

mixed emotions

Today is the first day of school. And boy do I have some mixed emotions! Let me just replay to you this mornings events.
I go in and wake Sara up, now I honestly expected her to either already be up and dressed out of excitement for the first day or to wake her up and have her jump out of bed and get dressed quickly. Neither of which happened. I took me a good 5 mins to get her out of bed...and then another 10 mins to get her dressed in the out fit that was laying out on the floor already to be put on! Now she wasn't upset or ornery about it, just slow. She acted as if she had been going to 1st grade for months and this was just another morning. I on the other hand was always so excited/nervous on the first day of school. Then we do her hair....I gave in and did her hair how she wanted, then we went downstairs for breakfast. I told her that today I would make her a special breakfast of whatever she wanted. I expected to be making pancakes or french toast this morning, but she wanted oatmeal. Which to me is not a special breakfast, but she informed me that it was her favorite. (I am glad that she chose it, only because I know that it is so filling and will keep her full until lunch, but still a bit surprised.)
Then we got ready to leave. She has insisted all week that she wants to ride the bus, and I am all for that especially have a baby due soon for her to be riding the bus. However I kind of wanted to take her the first day and take pictures at the school and make sure she knows where she is going. She didn't want that at all....(where did she come from!) I told her that I was at least coming to the bus stop to see her off.
Now the way the kids walk to the bus stop there are 2 small fences that they climb over to cross through a neighbors yard. I told her that being as pregnant as I am could not climb these fences so we would be driving to the bus stop. She didn't love that idea either so she said. "Look mom, can I just walk by myself and I'll take the camera and have someone take my picture? I'll put the camera in my backpack for the rest of the day and not take it out and bring it home to you, I promise." (Did my ears deceive me, or did my daughter just tell me in a round about way that she didn't want me to even come.) My, she is independent! This child is so not like me or her father is many ways! Well I told her I am sorry but my first child is going to first grade for the first time and I am at least going to the bus stop to see her off. And here I thought I would be crying about her being so old and growing up so fast, not because she didn't even seem to care if I was there. I told her I was going to miss her today, and asked if she'd miss me. She said I think I'll miss daddy today and you tomorrow. Man, she kills me!
When we got to the bus stop, her little friend ended up missing the bus so I had to send her alone, which didn't seem to bother her at all!
So here is her picture waiting for the bus, in the outfit she picked out, and a new lunch box. Her new shoes that she had to wear today! I didn't fight this battle either.Her and her brothers. In a form that her teacher had me fill out, one of the questions was what bothers your child the most. When I asked her, you can guess her answer.....her brothers.
Getting on the bus...the beginning and the end.I'm going to miss that little sassy pants during the day, but am so happy that she is as independent as she is. I should be grateful, I can't imagine sending a crying daughter to school, what a terrible day that would be!

6 comments:

Josh and Jenna said...

It's harder on us moms, the kids are fine! She looks so cute!

Birrell Family said...

So cute!!!
Parenting gives us the highest highs and lowest lows, often within minutes of each other. It is good you are blogging all of this... welcome to Motherhood, you aren't alone :)

The Bringhurst Bunch! said...

Oh Jess that is just too funny! You really should stop cramping her style I mean honestly how embarrassing!

Princess Di said...

How fun that she's in 1st grade. Your kids are just beautiful! I can imagine the mixed emotions you must have! You are a great mom!

Marchelle said...

How are you feeling this year compared to last having her gone all day? We started school a couple of weeks ago and I remembered your post last year. I held it together until I got to the car. :) I was just thinking how ironic it is that we are always trying to get them to do things themselves, but when they do and want to, we just want them to need us. At least that is what I feel like with Maya. :) By the way, Maya has the same Hello Kitty backpack. Love ya!

emlizalmo said...

I love that little Sarah. I'd have to say, her enthusiasm is so much easier than Molly's terror at me leaving her. It is SO hard to leave when they are clinging and crying. Sarah is AWESOME! :)